Camiguin: Yesterday evening the MindaNews released an fascinating posting about the record of Camiguin
Photograph courtesy of Granger Assortment
Do you know that there is an island termed Camiguin that it is found on the northernmost portion of Luzon? That this island is close to the province of Cagayan Valley? In this article in Mindanao, we have the amazing Camiguin island that is only various hours away by land and sea from a different Cagayan – Cagayan de Oro Town!
No just one has arrive up with an suitable explanation why the two area names are both observed in Luzon and Mindanao and are fairly near geographically from each and every other. On the other hand, Camiguin and Cagayan are quite outdated pre-hispanic names. Both equally are early or proto- Austronesian words and Austronesian is the spouse and children inventory from which all Philippine languages are descended.
The Camiguin island that we are all common with is prominently positioned in advance of the central coastline of northern Mindanao. Early Portuguese and Spanish chroniclers wrote that the island was termed Camigui, Camiguing and Camiguenen by the historic inhabitants of the archipelago.
Fr. Francisco Ignacio Alcina, a Spanish Jesuit wrote a e-book in 1668 entitled, “Historia de las islas e indios de Bisayas” where he talked about a famed kandu or epic sung by his aged parishioners about a prehispanic Bisayan warrior who built several raids all around the archipelago which include “Camiguing”and even as considerably as the coastal parts of China. He did this so he can earn the hand of a beautiful binokot or princess from Bohol.
Many thought that since of the island’s place, the ships of Magellan possibly built a stopover in the island on their way to Cebu. Whilst other individuals wrote that the Spanish explorer did land in Catarman, a coastal spot of the island and crammed his casks with h2o from a spring there. Nevertheless, there is no history by Magellan’s chronicler, Antonio Pigafetta or from the accounts of the survivors of the ill-fated expedition who ended up interviewed by Fernando Oliviera, that they ended up in Camiguin.
The earliest report about the island was prepared by a Portuguese, Joao de Barros in his e-book,Quarta Decada da Asia. He wrote that in 1538, a Portuguese captain, Franciso de Castro, sailed the duration of Mindanao and converted the rulers of Sarangani, Surigao and Camigui to Christianity alongside with their respective wives and children. That the king of Camigui was baptized and provided the identify of Dom Francisco.
Then there is a book on the voyages of Fray Urdaneta, the friar who was with the expedition of the Spanish conquistador, Miguel Lopez de Legazpi to this region (J.R. de Miguel 2009),that talked about that on Sunday, March 11,1565, the fleet of Legazpi solid anchor on the west coast of Camiguin at 6:00 P.M. There, they observed all the homes empty as the persons fled and hid in the forest. Legazpi then ordered Martin de Goiti and Andres de Ibarra to explore the island and seem for cinnamon, a spice that was greatly valued by the Europeans. Having discovered none, they left for Butuan. Another 1565 document that was subsequently published in La Solidaridad in 1892, talked about that upon Legazpi’s arrival in Camiguin, they met the main named Malitik and that he authorized his son, Kamutuhan, to information the Spaniards to Limasawa.
The explanation why the folks fled in concern on viewing the ships of Legazpi approaching the island was since two several years earlier, the Moluccans and Portuguese raided Bohol where they killed a ruler and took quite a few of his topics as slaves. Then they proceeded to Camiguin and Limasawa islands in which they sacked and burned the coastal villages and also killed quite a few inhabitants.
In 1596, the Jesuits had been given authorization by Governor Common Francisco Tello to do mission work along the Butuan river and in Camiguin. Three several years afterwards, they founded Guinsiliban, the oldest town and the 1st parish of the island. But they still left owing to the numerous hardships they expert in the island. They were followed by the Agustinians of the Observant Purchase but did not remain extended owing to what they explained as the “extreme ferocity” of the people today.
Finally, in 1622, the Agustinian Recollects came to the island with the Venerable Fray Miguel de Santa Maria as the to start with Prior. The Recoletos have been to keep in the island for far more than 200 many years and founded the towns of Catarman, Sagay, Mambajao and Mahinog. Their to start with mission station was in Catarman. It was there on that exact same calendar year, that two of their missionaries from Caraga stayed for sometime though awaiting term from Salangsang, the main of the Cagaiang (Cagayan) that they be permitted to enter his territory.
And the rest is background. From Camigui (as penned in the 1681 Recoleto Journal), the two missionaries, Fray Juan de San Nicolas and Fray Francisco de la Madre de Dios became the first Spaniards to enter Cagaiang. They had been thriving in changing the people today to the Christian faith commencing with Salangsang and his spouse and later on,established the existing site of Cagayan de Oro ( Blair and Robertson 1903-1909).
In October 2010, an archaeological study was conducted close to the island by a crew headed by Prof. Leee M. Neri from the Archaeological Scientific tests Program of the University of the Philippines – Diliman. Primarily based on exploratory results, there is a very excellent prospective in finding much more material evidences that can assistance create the prehistoric and pre-hispanic durations of Camiguin Province. It is our hope that even further archaeological research will be completed in the close to future for this purpose so that the island’s background will be further more enriched.